Digital disruption, artificial intelligence, autonomous vehicles, and other technological innovations have quickly woven their way into Oshawa’s economic landscape. Oshawa has successfully diversified its economy and is continuing the transformation by leveraging and capitalizing on dynamic new assets such as:
- Ontario Tech University’s Automotive Centre of Excellence, one of the most advanced climatic wind tunnels and moving ground planes in the world
- Durham College’s AI/Hub and new Esports Gaming Arena
- General Motors Canada’s $170 million investment, which includes a brand new autonomous vehicle test track
- Trent University Durham GTA’s $27 million campus expansion
- Academic health based care facilities such as the Lakeridge Health Education and Research Network (LHEARN) Centre, a 25,000 square foot state-of-the art high-fidelity simulation lab
- The recently-expanded Spark Centre, a business incubator providing advisory services, office space, and day-to-day operational support to early-stage and rapidly-growing innovation and technology companies
Oshawa’s ability to embrace these emerging industries will be key to the ongoing evolution of its economy. Oshawa’s excellent talent pool, large commuter shed, booming population growth, exceptional real estate value, and proximity to Toronto continue to make the city an attractive place to invest and grow. The city used to build cars — join them as they build an exciting new future and vision of the city.